Dr Lazarus Chakwera
MY FIRST 100 DAYS AS PRESIDENT
PRIORITY No. 1: CREATE JOBS AND WEALTH
4 million Malawians are currently unemployed and looking for work.
Anyone running for president who promises to create less than 4 million jobs or who promises a one-size-fits-all solution for the complex and diverse unemployment causes of millions of Malawians is not serious or ready to govern.
I, on the other hand, have a plan to create 4 million jobs across all employment sectors, including farming, within my first term, jobs that create wealth, last long, and create more jobs.
To kick start the job creation boom, in the first 100 days, I will send a pro-jobs rescue budget to Parliament that will – Reduce taxes for new businesses
– Give tax incentives to businesses that employ youth – Reduce income tax for the middle class
– Double the tax free wage so you keep what you earn
– Launch a job-creating project to upgrade/expand roads
– Bring investors for production, not consumption
– Support farmers who grow crops of exportable value
PRIORITY No. 2: DECLARE WAR ON THEFT
We live in a country where cabinet ministers can have bags of inexplicable cash with impunity, where Vice Presidents can comfortably remain silent about theft for years, and where Presidents can be sole signatories of accounts that receive millions from businesses that bribe ruling parties to secure government contracts.
The era of thievery and quietly watching it ends on May 21, 2019!
In the 100 days that follow:
– I will send a bill to Parliament to fully fund the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) and make it independent
– I will send a bill to Parliament to sever the operational ties between the resources of the State and of the ruling party
– I will direct that all government contracts be reviewed and audited for conflicts of interests
– I will put all government officials who head departments or approve contracts under a lifestyle audit
– I will begin the ground work for establishing a special Anti-Corruption Court to handle graft cases with speed
– I will give NO AMNESTY to thieves. They’ve been giving amnesty to each other for 25 years and enough is enough.
PRIORITY No. 3: RESTRUCTURE STATE INSTITUTIONS
Parastatals will become efficient and profitable companies under my presidency.
Government ministries and departments will be professional institutions run to serve Malawians, not politicians. For example, in the first 100 days:
– I will restructure ESCOM to roll out my plan to exponentially increase power generation and distribution through a combination of interconnectivity, diversification of on-grid power sources, and subsidization of off-grid power solutions. So my government will make blackouts history, the kind of history only to be read in history books in the chapter on this dysfunctional DPP government.
– I will restructure the Ministry of Education to roll out my plan to give every secondary school student access to a computer.
God Bless Malawi.